Returns and Exchanges Policy
Learn about our Returns and Exchanges Policy for all purchased products and services. Please select one of the options below for details.
Our Returns and Exchanges Policy for all purchases made in our physical stores.
NOTE: This policy applies only to items purchased in-store. Always make sure to retain your receipt. For our orders placed through our Web site, please refer to our Online Returns and Exchanges Policy.
General Return Policy
- Most items may be returned or exchanged within 10 working days of original purchase.
- The time period for returns for clothing purchases may be extended upon request in the pre-Christmas period from December 1 until January 15.
- At the start of the fall and winter semesters in September and January the ten working day return limit is extended for textbooks until five (5) working days after deadlines for class changes and drops. Proof of the dropped course from the Registrar is required. Note, the day after you drop your course online, you can print an unofficial transcript from Minerva- a "W" (withdrawal) will be shown on your transcript, for dropped courses.
- Course Materials (textbooks and coursepack) purchased during exam periods are final sale. Exact dates will be posted in the store and on the Bookstore website.
- Customers are responsible for checking the condition of their books at the time of purchase. We are not responsible for the condition of the book once it has left the store.
- All returns are at the discretion of store personnel.
Conditions of Return
- You must have your original cash register receipt.
- Merchandise must be in perfect condition. Returns are accepted based on the standards set by the publishers. Publishers will not accept any books with even just the slightest defect or damage. This means no refunds or exchanges if book is fully or partially read, used, marked, bent, torn or if the spine is cracked. It must be perfect! It is beyond the Bookstore's control if the publishers’ policies affect your return. If one of these policies affects your return and is beyond the Bookstore’s control, the Bookstore will be happy to provide you with the publisher's phone number.
- Merchandise must be in original packaging. No refunds or exchanges if shrink wrap is removed.
- Garments must be unworn and in mint condition with all original hang-tags attached.
- All refunds will be processed to the tender used for the purchase
- Must present Student ID or McGill ID or other suitable ID, eg, driver’s licence.
With the exception of sale merchandise, which is non-returnable, all defective merchandise will be replaced. If the Bookstore does not have stock of an item, and cannot replace the item within a reasonable amount of time, a full refund will be issued.
No Refunds or Exchanges on:
- Course Packs are non-refundable even if the course is dropped. A Course Pack may be exchanged if store personnel are satisfied that the Course Pack was incorrectly purchased for the wrong course and proof of enrollment is provided. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Shrink-wrapped books or books containing tapes or software are non-returnable if opened (this policy has been set by the publishers not the Bookstore).
- Special Orders
- Sale or discounted items, or any items marked "final sale"
- Calculators, printer cartridges, and electronic goods if packaging has been opened or tampered with in any way
- Confectionery items
- Graduation frames, or rings
- Study notes and charts such as Cliffs Notes, Toronto Notes, Schaums and Perma charts
- Examination and preparation books/disks: LSAT, GMAT, GRE, SAT, MSCE, MCSD, CNE MCAT etc
- Medical instruments, dissecting kits, safety goggles, underwear and swimwear cannot be returned because of health regulations
Our Returns and Exchanges Policy for all purchases made through the Le James - McGill Bookstore Web site.
This Returns and Exchanges policy applies only to items purchased from our LE JAMES - McGill Bookstore Online Store. For all purchases made at our physical stores, please refer to our In-Store Returns and Exchanges Policy.
- No returns or exchanges will be processed without prior authorization. You must first send us a return request within 14 calendar days of receiving the original order.
- The items must be returned in the original condition (unwashed and unused) with all original tags and packaging.
- Refunds will be processed based on the original payment method after we receive the returned items.
If the Goods Arrived Damaged or Were Not What You Ordered
While LE JAMES tries to ensure that every shipment sent to our customers (you) is correct, there may be occasions when the product you receive does not perform as expected, arrives damaged or is not what you ordered. If this is the situation, please take a picture of the package and/or item as soon as you receive your order and include it in your return request.
In these cases, if you wish to return the items, LE JAMES will refund the price of the original item, including the shipping charges if you are returning the order in full.
If you wish to exchange the received item for the originally ordered item, we will ship it to you at no additional charge.
Refunds to your credit card will take place only after we receive the goods at our store.
For more information regarding how to return the item, please see the section “How to Return the Goods” below. Please note that, in these cases, we will provide you with a prepaid UPS return label free of charge should you decide to return the item by mail.
If You Changed Your Mind
If you decide upon receiving your order, that you do not wish to keep the items, LE JAMES will refund the original purchase price, minus the shipping charges, provided that the goods are returned in saleable condition.
Exchanges are currently unavailable for purchases made through our online store. However, we will refund the items being returned and you can place a new order for the desired items.
Refunds to your credit card will take place only after we receive the goods at our store and all shipping charges are non-refundable.
For more information regarding how to return the item, please see the section “How to Return the Goods” below.
Orders Not Picked Up
Any orders that have chosen the shipping option of "In-Store Pickup" must be picked up at the pickup location indicated on your order within 30 days of purchase. Failure to pick up an order within 30 days will result in the order being refunded to the credit card used for the original purchase, minus a 10% processing fee (except non-refundable items...see below). Course Packs not picked up within 30 days will be destroyed (copyright requirement) with no refund issued.
Exceptions to This Policy
All items purchased on clearance or final sale are not eligible for refund or exchange under any circumstance.
Additionally, the following products are non-exchangeable and non-refundable:
- Digital Downloads (eBooks)
- Access Cards
- Course Packs
- Gift Cards
Requesting a Return or Exchange Online
To request a return or to notify us of an issue with an order made through our online store, please send us a message via our customer support system and select the category “Refund Request” if you would like a refund or “Order Issue” if you received the wrong or a damaged item. Once we receive your request, one of our Customer Support Representatives will assist you with the process.
How to Return the Goods
Once you have received a return authorization, you can either return the items at one of our stores or mail them back to us.
To return the items in-store:If you live near our 680 Sherbrooke location or our Mac Campus location, you can return the items at one of our stores. You will need to present your order confirmation (printed or on your mobile device).
We recommend in-store returns so that you get your refund faster.
You must return the items within 30 days from the date we approved your return request.
To ship your return items:
When preparing your package, please make sure you include one of the following for identification:
- A copy of your order confirmation.
- The order number indicated somewhere on the package.
Mail it back to us within 30 days from the date we approved your return request to the following address:
LE JAMES McGill Bookstore (Returns)
680 Sherbrooke Street
Montreal, QC H3A 2M7
The sender is responsible for any return shipping charges. We recommend that you use a trackable delivery service as the goods are your responsibility until we receive them.
Please note that if you are returning items that did not perform as expected, arrived damaged or were not what you ordered, we will provide you with a prepaid UPS shipping label free of charge.
Changes to This Policy
The LE JAMES - McGill Bookstore reserves the right to change this policy without notice at any time. In case of a change to this policy between the time that an order is made and the return, the policy in effect at the time the order was placed will apply.
For More Information
For more information about this returns and exchanges policy please contact us at:
ATTN: Web Returns Policy
LE JAMES - McGill Bookstore